INVERNARIO – the future of the earth will experience “an invincible summer”: what would you save of the world you knew till now to hand it over to the generation of 2150? and why?
Hiemarium, a bit like the utopia of mutual support between humans and non-humans, is a manual that will most likely never exist, but even just thinking about it, just evaluating the hypothesis means moving to the right side of the fault. No one can guarantee us that beyond the abyss there is a New World, no one can guarantee us the opposite. The end of the world is just the world of tomorrow. (Matteo Meschiari, 2021)
INVERNARIO is an exercise in the imagination of the future world through what we suppose will no longer exist, a look at the present as it would have been already extinct. What will a world be like without winter? how much else will disappear? what would we like to deliver to the 2150 generation? and what for?
Each knowledge, animal, plant, place, vision, memory, selected object confronts us with the act of simultaneously determining what we consider really important now and what we imagine could be a useful tool for facing the future. A double imaginative work that links the vision of the present to that of the possible future, a cognitive training to look at complexity, think about the future, develop alternative scenarios.
- Goal: to select the works to be presented at the WINTER event / collective which will be held in Reggio Emilia from the 2nd to the 5th June 2022 in the outdoor spaces to the building “Millennium” building in Viale Ramazzini. INVERNARIO is organized by “Le Officine” – spazio dedicato in collaboration with Fotografia Europea 2022 – Circuit OFF. The event will be part of the official calendar of the European Photography Festival 2022 – Circuit OFF.
- Theme: INVERNARIO – the future of the earth will experience “an invincible summer”: what would you save of the world you knew till now to hand it over to the generation of 2150? and why? The Open Call asks participants to respond to the proposed theme through the expressive forms of the visual arts.
- Type of works: the works proposed must be in one of the following categories of visual arts: photography, video, digital art, they can be created with any technique and must be accompanied by an explanatory text (abstract) that responds to the theme and motivates the choice and a description of the modality by which it intends to exhibit them (eg: support material, print dimensions, installation consisting of, etc…). The works do not necessarily have to be unpublished and may form part of the works already exhibited, however they must respond to the proposed theme.
- Timing: to enter the Open Call it is necessary to send a proposal no later than 10.00 pm on 15th March 2022 with the methods and characteristics specified below. The works received will be evaluated by the commission within the 25th March. The selected works will form part of the “INVERNARIO” event / collective and will be registered within 31st March in the official calendar of the European Photography Festival 2022 – OFF Circuit. The “INVERNARIO” event / collective will take place in Reggio Emilia from 2nd to 5th June 2022.
- Commission: the evaluation commission of the works will be made up as follows:
- Alessandra Calò, photography category
- Chiara Rigione, video category
- Cinzia Pietribiasi, digital art category
- Stefania Carretti, display quality of the work
- Matteo Meschiari, narrative content of the work
- Evaluation criteria: the evaluation of the works will consider the following parameters:
- Adherence to the proposed theme
- Technical quality and / or exhibition method
- Narrative capability
- Innovative use of the expressive medium
- Off-topic works and live performances will not be taken into consideration
- How to participate: participation is free. To participate, it is necessary to fill in each space, no later than the 15th March 2022, of the registration form by accessing through this page (https://arrecrea.com/heterotopias/invernario/). To this page you have to attach, according to the category in which you want to participate, some images or a link, as specified in the next paragraph.
- Presentation format of the works: it is possible to participate in the Open Call with:
- case a) a wark already made and completed
- case b) with a work project to be completed
in both cases, the following materials must be sent no later than 15th March 2022 and according to the category in which you want to participate
- photography category> from 1 to 5 photos, quality 72 dpi, max size 1200 px / inch, max total weight 1Mb;
- video category> link to public or private platform on which it is possible to view a video lasting up to 5 minutes (case a) or a teaser exemplifying the work to be done (case b);
- digital art category> link to a public or private platform on which it is possible to view a film lasting up to 5 minutes (case a) or a teaser exemplifying the work to be done (case b).
ATTENTION! do not use expired links such as wetransfer or similar.
- Selected works: there are no cachets or monetary awards. The works selected by the commission will be exhibited in the “INVERNARIO” event / collective that will take place in Reggio Emilia from 2nd to 5th June 2022. The event will be promoted on the official platform of the European Photography Festival 2022 – OFF Circuit. The organization undertakes to promote the selected works as a collective work with the title of INVERNARIO on platforms and online magazines of the sector as well as on the public and private / social networks of “Le Officine” – spazio dedicato and of the partner subjects who collaborate with organization of the initiative.
- Exhibition mode: The authors of the selected works undertake to send all the works (including completed work projects) no later than May 15th, 2022 in the size and materials described in the paragraph of the registration form concerning the exhibition conditions. The works will be reproduced at their own expense and on a material suitable for outdoor display. Concerning the video and digital art categories, the works must be submitted in video format suitable for being projected or reproduced on the screen and following the subsequent communications. All works must be accompanied by a release on copyright to grant the of use by the Organizers and for the purposes set out in paragraphs 1 and 10.
INFO & CLARIFICATIONS